1. How does the app work?
Shaka Guide's apps use GPS to give you turn-by-turn navigation to popular sites and hidden gems. You'll hear stories, learn about the islands, and listen to music along the way. You'll have the freedom to explore at your own pace with the comfort of having us as your guide.
2. Will the app work if I lose cell service?
Yes! As long as you download the tour before you go -- preferably over wifi -- the tour will not use data. Don't fear! The app uses GPS and can still access your location to give you turn-by-turn directions even without data.
3. How much does the app cost?
The app is free, but in order to access the tours you'll have to make an in-app purchase. The tours range from $4.99 - $19.99 depending on the destination. You can also check out our bundles for HUGE savings.
4. What comes with a purchase?
Your purchase comes with the following:
- Offline Hawaii map
- Offline audio tour
- Offline driving directions
- Tour highlights
5. Can the tour be taken in reverse or the opposite direction?
It depends! To determine which way the tour goes, visit the tour FAQs in the app. You'll find the tour start and end points there as well.
6. Can I start the tour at any point along the route?
The tour has specific starting points, however, you can join the tour at any point - you'll just miss some content.
7. How many times can I use the tour?
Unlimited! Once you purchase the tour, it never expires.
8. Is it a one time purchase?
Nope! Once you purchase the tour, it's yours to keep. You can take it again or break it up into multiple days.
9. Can I do the tours in one day?
Sure! If you want to do the tour in one day we recommend starting early, around 8 a.m. Depending on the tour and how many stops you want to make, the tours can take between 6-12 hours. We know this is a long window, but it truly depends on how many places you want to visit!
10. How do I get started?
Below you'll find our app tutorial videos to help you get started:
Here are some other helpful tips:
- Download to the tour over wifi
- Don't close the app until the download is complete
- If download stays frozen for longer than one minute close the app, reopen it and select restore purchases
11. How do I get the audio to play through the car stereo?
There are few ways to do this: bluetooth, USB cable, or AUX chord. Check out our video tutorial to learn how to connect your phone to the car's stereo.
12. How is Shaka Guide different than a guidebook?
Shaka Guide doesn't only tell you about the best attractions -- we actually guide you there with turn-by-turn navigation, stories and music along the way. We've done the research for you! Check out the itinerary before you go and look at our tour highlights to for some awesome restaurants, sites and activities along the tour route.
13. How do I conserve batter?
If you don't have a car charger (which we highly recommend you bring -- you can pick one up on island at Target, Walmart or ABC Store), you can expect your fully-charged phone to last about 4-5 hours. Here are some tips to conserve battery throughout the day.
- Turn OFF the tour when making a long stop: this means the app will stop using your GPS signal. Just remember to switch the tour back on to continue. The tour will pick up where you left off.
- Turn off the screen of your phone: the audio tour will continue playing in the background.
- Use the car's speakers to play the tour: here's a video tutorial that details how you can connect to the car's stereo.
Many rental cars have USB ports that will allow you to charge your phone and connect to the car's stereo. Check out your car before you go and if you have one, just bring your USB charging cable along for the drive!
14. My download is frozen - help!
This may be due to poor internet or data connection. The app could also freeze if you've closed out of it or turned off your phone during the download. The solution? Find a place with a good internet connection an keep the app open until it finishes downloading completely. If the download stays frozen, please close the app, reopen it and select restore purchases.
15. What should I pack for my tour?
Here's our tour packing list. This list will vary based on island and the activities you choose to do.
Still have questions? Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 1-888-250-2261.